Lifecast Forearms & Hands

Next in our plan to fully replace Courtney, I mean, LIFE CAST Courtney… was to cast her forearms.

Once again, we used Smooth-On Body Double SILK silicone for the life cast.

One trial size of silicone was used per forearm.  We separated each kit into three equal portions.

After mixing the first batch, we coated one hand down to her elbow.

Courtney kept her hand in a relaxed position with her fingers spread apart. Once the silicone began to set we mixed and added another 1/3 of the material to ensure full coverage.


For the final layer we added Thi-Vex to the remaining silicone, filling the gaps between the fingers.

Once the final layer of silicone was set, we started a two part mold shell from 6″ Gypsona Plaster Bandages (Fast Set).

We coated one half of the arm in 2-3 layers of bandages, making sure to reinforce the edges. Once cured, we added Vaseline where the seams would be to prevent the halves from sticking together. Then the second half was added and let cure.


When completely cured, the plaster jacket was pried open. Using medical bandage scissors, a seam was cut along the silicone so Courtney could remove her arm.

This process was then repeated on her other arm.

Check out the highlights of our stream on our Twitch page:

Twitch Stream Life Casting Highlights

The next step was the casting!

The Silicone and plaster molds were reassembled. To keep them together, we taped them shut with duct tape and wrapped them with rubber bands.

In preparation of mixing the plaster, we chopped up some burlap fabric. Our thought was to add the fibers to the plaster to help strengthen the cast, especially the fingers.

A batch of Ultracal 30 was mixed, using the same technique previously used for the head lifecast.

A small amount of plaster was added to each of the molds. They were then rotated, coating the surface of the mold and the plaster was poured out. We repeated this step a couple times, making sure to catch all the details on the surface of the mold.

Next we added the burlap fibers the the bucket of Ultracal 30.

Using cups, we poured small amounts at a time into the mold. With each batch we tapped the molds on the floor to release air bubbles. This was repeated until the molds were completely filled.

To help attach the final casts to a base for sculpting, we added threaded rods to the center of each arm.

The molds where tucked vertically in a bucket and covered in plastic until fully cured.

The tape and bands where removed and the halves were separated.

Despite our efforts, we still ended up with some air bubbles… Thankfully this wont be an issue for our purposes. They will be attached to a wood base and the sculpting can begin!